Blackburn

Monday 12 August 2013

Tour Divide 2013 - ZERO to 2700 miles Complete!!

WOW.  All done.  2859 miles I believe was the official distance this year, and I completed it in just over 25 days.  That was the goal I set going in and it was an incredible feeling pulling it off. 
Really wasn't sure if I could pull it off, even in day 19 when I was sure I had enough.  Some days it felt like a job, waking up to my alarm at 4 am and forcing myself out the sleeping bag.  Other days, especially in the north before I reached Butte, I couldn't wait to start another day.  So many struggles so many small successes, so many friends and so many Sour Patch Kids.
Strange what this race does to you.  I remember in the last week telling my wife that when I finish I never want to go back there, that I had had enough and I had so many problems that I would never want to re-live. Then when I got to the finish I was filled with minor disappointment for not finishing faster and planning my next trip by thinking back to all the days I wasted time and thinking of where I could have added miles to my days, and how I could improve my gear as to not waste days in the bike shops. I thought I could have hit 22 days if, if, if...  Having been in the race for a month it was hard to step back and look at the event on a macro scale.
I took a week or so to realize just what I had done. How far I had gone and how far I pushed myself. I had so many people cheering me on and they weren't dissapointed.  Looking through my pics and videos and reading my notes and blogs its all starting to soak in.  Incredible.

Blogs at   http://www.blackburndesign.com/en_ca/outthere






No comments:

Post a Comment