Blackburn

Monday 29 April 2013

Tour Divide 2013 - Committed, Be a DOer

Watched 'Pain and Gain' Saturday night.  "be a DO'er not a DONT'er"  although Marky Mark maybe took this a little too far I did find this pharase rather funny but yes I guess it is good advice.  I was surprised to find a facebook page dedicated to this.  Not sure I can take this phrase too seriously after seeing that movie but here is the link https://www.facebook.com/Be.A.Doer.Inc

I bought my plane ticket, booked my room in Banff.  No turning back.  It is suddenly real again and knowing I am committed now is extremely encouraging.  It has taken a lot to get to this point again this year.  Sacrifices from my family, sacrifices in my professional career, finance juggling and battles with my own deep illness (still coming to terms with depression being an illness and not my own personal weakness) will all make this years race that much sweeter.  Slaying this dragon will truly be a launching pad for dreams to come.  I was asked how I put my life on pause to take such a trip and my answer is that this trip is the play button.  "When I'm dreamin', I know that it's alright" thanks Weezer.

A friend of mine from Seattle has announced her intention last night to ride the Pacific Coast Highway from Washington to the Mexican border this year starting June 14th, same day as the TD starts.  the goals of our trips are completely different but her announcement of her parallel journey, literal and figurative, really made me remember my moment of commitment and actually made me a little bit jealous.  To accomplish a goal I think you first need to set one and then you need to make it public.  Once its out there, it's much easier to carry out for fear of publicly failing.  I don't mean saying "someday I'm going to" but rather saying "I am going to".
In reading her announcement I was envious of the leisure at her disposal on her route, but inspired by her boldness to change her life to commit to a dream.

Wow, 47 days to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment