Blackburn

Tuesday 9 April 2013

Tour Divide 2013 - Best Birthday Ever

Ever have one of those weekends that was so awesome you wished you didn't have to leave? And it was my birthday on Sunday as well.
It was perfect.  Blackburn treated us Rangers so well.  What an amazing group of people.  California blew me away and I think it is now one of my favourite places.  Met some incredible people and did some epic riding.  It felt really good to get some climbs in that I can't get back home and test out my gear as I rode fully loaded for the first time this year.  All was great with the bike and new wheel set up but I am rethinking some of my gear choices now.  Still want to gear down and shift some weight around as I am still to front heavy. No jokes intended.  

 wEvery few miles seemed to provide a completely different view.  From the ocean to the redwoods.  Several miles actually made me miss being out on the route and really got me excited for June.  Some of the awesome people I was lucky enough to cross paths with on the weekend enjoying some incredible food in Spring Valley in the picture to the right.    Nick will be racing the TD in June (Blue Glasses) and was the ring leader for the weekend along with Robin who represents Blackburn famously but will not be racing (back with crossed legs).  The other Rangers all had great back stories.  Phil from Salida (not in picture), will be riding segments of the GDMBR and if you are reading this and planning on taking the route through Salida, you must stop at his coffee shop in Salida and say hello! Dr. Jennifer from Seattle (maker of great chocolate chip cookies) just had her appendix removed a few days before the weekend and didn't ride for obvious reasons (right side) and Dennis the "road rocket" (stuffing in calories between Nick and Robin) will be riding the entire Pacific Coast Highway. Jason the human Wikipedia from San Fran who happens to live on a sailboat (in hat) will be riding segments of that route.  Dom and Nadia from Encompass films (front left) also attended and will appreciate my use of... parenthesis.  Together we are the Blackburn Rangers.  More bios and info on their adventures to come. 
Did I say Awesome people already?  Hey Mark, thanks for the lift to and from the airport.
 


3 comments:

  1. Hey man, don't kid yourself. You're a front heavy dude!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey JD,

    Very flattering stuff . . . we're glad you had a good time and are looking forward to your adventures.

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shouldn't forget Laura. Thanks for the J.D. and Cupcakes! Great meeting her as well.

      Delete