Blackburn

Friday 29 March 2013

Tour Divide 2013 - I never left

It is a weird feeling with less than 90 days to go.  Last year this huge unknown impossible dream was just that, impossible.  With zero mountain biking experience or cycling experience behind me I had nothing to lose.  The real reason for doing it last year was to prove I could live.  Lots of us have dreams but not many of us attempt to live them, but instead we accept to live with regret.  That dream comes at a huge cost but in the end I won't regret trying. The race last year became this safe and awesome place where I actually felt like I belonged. I think Matt Lee mentioned something of that in the movie and I now understand what he meant. 

This year the Tour is a part of me.  It is not an impossible thing, but rather an excepted reality.  The race has become a metaphor for a lot of things in life. It keeps me moving.  It helps me align my priorities and determine what is truly important.  It is motivating, awe inspiring, rewarding and beautiful.  It is soul crushing, defeating, exhausting and a gross and nasty place. I realise that even though I am by myself I am not alone.  No one can do this alone.  Help and support are needed to get to the start line and knowing you have the support of friends and family will pull you to the end. 
I guess when I left in Butte I didn't quit, I just haven't finished yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment