Blackburn

Sunday 25 August 2013

Tour Divide - Hang Outs, the bike shops

I guess "Hang Outs" is the wrong term here since we are racing but, here are my favourite spots.  Some of these places I had planned on staying at and some surprised me. At all of these places I met great people and I think that what really makes these places great.  Of course, this list is based only on my experiences and where I ended up.

First the Bike Shops...

Glacier Cycle


In Whitefish, MT.  These guys were great. Being the first shop on route they see a lot of riders and they seemed ready to handle us.  They opened a little early too which was awesome! I was so happy to have found them with all of the stupid issues I had the first couple days.  Awesome little patio to hang out with other riders in the back and an awesome breakfast place across the street.  Try the blueberry cream cheese spread on the french toast if you get the chance.  I left my phone in their shop and was way to far ahead to turn around so I called them to ask if they would send it to Butte for me, which they did.  They wrapped the phone in a stylin 'pair of shop socks and shoved it in the box.  Very happy to receive a nice pair of warm socks!  Great work.








The Outdoorsman

Bike shop in Butte Montana.  This is a Tour Divide must stop if there ever was one. If you can get there during business hours.  I missed and arrived half hour late one evening and was a little upset that I had to wait till 10 am the next morning, but I get it, it was my own fault.  If he opens late for one he has to open up for all. I know a few racers were put off by that.  Here's the positive though, Rob opens his shop and riders lounge to racers, provides drinks, Internet, snacks, motivation and doesn't charge to take a look at your ride, and even repaired it for nothing (plus parts of course).   He is dealing with stressed out panicked riders desperate for repair, and contemplating their future in the race.  He understands this race and loves to help the riders.  He is equal parts, shop keeper, mechanic and counsellor.  He tried his best to shame me in to not quitting in 2012.  I  am so impressed with how he handles the growing number of racers each year.  He really understands what we need as racers.  So if you pass through Butte, say a big hello and make sure you tip accordingly!


Steamboat Ski and Bike Kare
 http://www.steamboatskiandbike.com/

These guys saved my bacon.  I arrived in Steamboat Springs just before lunch and headed to Orange Peel Cycle to get a lot of work done. First I will start with the positive, these guys have everything you would need, they have the knowledge and they pushed aside their everyday business to fit in us racers.  Much appreciated.  But mistakes do happen.  It took 5 plus hours to get the work done and they finished at 6, just as they were closing.  No one took it for a test ride.  They handed me my bike, I paid (a lot) and they closed the doors.  I didn't get very far, maybe 7 miles when I realized I couldn't shift under load and my small ring kept phantom shifting.  I tried to adjust myself but no dice.  So painfully I turned around, wondering how on earth I would find a bike shop open on Saturday night after 6pm, and assuming I would have to wait until noon the next day for a shop to open on Sunday.
A passing cyclist directed me to Steamboat Ski and Bike Kare and said the were open till 7, and I arrived with about a minute to spare.  Two mechanics jumped to work, stayed late with a smile, and had me out before 8pm.  Again a labour charge that couldn't be beat ;) and they had a beer fridge.  They had a friend from their shop in the race and were eager to help.  I was able to salvage a terrible day and I rode out of Steamboat. If, I mean when,  you make it to Steamboat, make it to Steamboat Ski and Bike Kare.




No comments:

Post a Comment