Blackburn

Monday 6 May 2013

Tour Divide 2013 - Training 'Man Down' True Friendship

Okay.  What would a better person do?
A perfect day for a ride.  Spent the day showing my friend Wilson around some of the hills and trails I use for training. Trying to help get ready for a gravel grinder in West Virginia later this summer. Great to get some climbs, technical trails and fast descents in the workout.  I realise how lucky I am to have these trails in my backyard and in the middle of the city.  Wilson may have a different take on events.  As we flew down this slippery hill, full of loose gravel and leaf covered booby traps, I reached the bottom made a hard left and looked back up the hill expecting to see him.  He was no where to be found.  I shouted up the hill and saw his feet sticking in the air.  Oops.  as I ran up the hill 30 metres or so, I noticed him laying motionless in the spot he landed.  I assumed he was running through his self assessment on the damage to his body as he hit a flew a good distance. You can see a black disturbance in the picture, above his bike where the gravel meets the leaves, that is the point of failure.  Lots of gnarly stuff hidden in the leaves, several root stumps and jagged rocks he was lucky to avoid.  I quickly sprang into action, assessed that I saw no blood and no bone was visible so I insisted he lay still.  "Don't move, lay still, man you flew a ways.  Don't try to get up....where's your camera?"  as friends do.    That doesn't make be a bad person.  I did help him up after I got a shot.  He was okay other than a few bumps and a large scrape on the leg.  He got up a we started on our way.  I let him wear the leaves on his back as a badge that was recognised and commented on by passersby!   I did buy him coffee and the Punchbowl Market minutes before.  So all is good.  That's true friendship

1 comment:

  1. My friend, I would not have wanted anyone else there by my side if I had been really hurt. Well, perhaps a paramedic or doctor...but other than that, you're the guy!
    ~Wilson

    ReplyDelete