Blackburn

Wednesday 15 May 2013

Tour Divide 2013 - T minus 30 days Crunch time.

This is the hardest part.  Getting to the line.  When you actually have to prepare to step out of life for a few weeks it gets a little heavy.  Or even harder deciding to take on a dream and actually sacrificing to make it happen.  Less then 30 days left now and although I feel better prepared than last year I forgot the pressure of the last month.  Really though, how freaking awesome is this! Put all the pressure and lamenting to follow aside and say, "I am one lucky ________" and you fill in the blank.  And by lucky of course I mean that luck is nothing without hard work and creating opportunities for ourselves and believing.  Choice+Work+Sacrifice+Opportunity+Believing=Luck

Still have to make a decision on shoes but I think I am running out of time to break in a new pair so I am hoping that crazy glue and duct tape hold up to their legendary status and I will wear the old pair.  Gore socks and plastic bags should also come in handy.  I have to figure out the rain pants too.  Will probably be a last minute choice as I really don't want to bring them.  They do offer some warmth but I am not sure that the sweat from the rain pant greenhouse effect keeps me dry.  I think I will take Jill Homers advice and decide that warm and wet is better than cold and wet.  So I guess I just made my decision, I am bringing rain pants.  I am waiting for a few things to arrive still so I may have to have a back up plan for some minor items. 
I have been real busy at work.  I work every day, most nights and both days on weekends right now.  Still trying to close out my property management business as well.  I really had to find a balance this year between training, preparation, work, family and life in general.  I put so much into the race last year that I crashed hard mentally after the race.  The race itself was one of the greatest things I have ever experienced and when it was over, I tipped.  The balance was wrong.  Better this dream be a compliment to life that helps to give me a new direction than an all encompassing force that defeats me when its gone.
I learned a lot from the race from last year, but I think most of the simplicity of eat, sleep, ride really helps me find priorities and learning that life comes around once was the biggest lesson.
Focus now.  Almost there....
I have enjoyed chatting with a lot of racers this week.  Very inspiring and great to hear about the gear choices they are making and  to sense their nerves. I will enjoy the challenge of trying to catch each and everyone of you!  After all it is a race.  A little word of advice to all the rookies, if you make it late to Elkford and the restaurant is closed, try to avoid the sandwiches from the liquor store fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment