Blackburn

Thursday 24 January 2013

Tour Divide 2013 - Gear Changes

Now that the 2012 race blog entries are finally complete, I can move on to the 2013.  I learned a lot about the race and myself last year and have decided to make a few changes to my set-up.  First the bike:

Having wheels built:

Stans Arc rims.
DT Swiss 240 hubs
Trying the WTB Nano's (going tubeless but using the regular tire, easier to get on)

Going with a Shimano Pro rigid carbon fork.  Had my suspension locked out last year most of the time.  When I had it on I was hitting my luggage in the front.  I think the weight saving is worth it. 

Getting a new frame bag from Scott at Porcelain Rocket with a 3L  bladder on the top section. 
Trying to eliminate taking a back pack

Avid BB7 mechanical brakes.  switching from the hydraulics.  Had problem after a crash last year.  needed a bleed kit which I didn't bring and do not want to carry. 

Other Gear Changes:

Z pack sleeping bag.  Lightest warmest I can find with good reviews

Likely the Gore Phantom Rain jacket with removable sleeves

Garmin Etrek 30  - takes AA batteries.  Best way to go.  I got stuck waiting to charge things last year.

Shoes TDB

Rain pants debatable

Gore socks.

A string to tie my mittens together in my coat.  Lost two pairs last year :)

2 comments:

  1. I like the mitten string. Seems like a must have and shouldn't add too much weight :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recommend wrist loops for each mitten/glove rather than a lanyard routed through your jacket. The one-piece gets uncomfortable/binds and also allows water to leech into your base layer(s). Using a loop on each mitten keeps them tethered outside the wrist seal of your outer layer. You'll also be able to remove your mittens without taking off your jacket when you no longer need them.

      Delete