Blackburn

Saturday 15 September 2012

Tour Divide Failures

I am taking a break from my daily divide entries to remember my failings.  As I was finally watching the videos I took, reading through the journal that I had to force myself to write every night of the race, I noticed a bit of a pattern.  I started the failing before I started the race.  I have a terrible memory. 

A list of breakdowns.......equipment, mental and physical.....

1) Brakes - Unpacked the bike in Calgary and the Hydraulic line needed to be bled.  Didn't think much of it at the time but what I didn't know was the seal was busted and I had a small leak. May switch to mechanical for 2013.  Pads were wearing thin and I didn't bring extra.  They were not as common a part as I thought and 3 out of 3 bike shops I went to had none.

2) Derailleur Hanger - Bent.  The guys at the Outdoorsman did an incredible job trying to work on it in the absence of a spare.  Those guys are awesome.  Next year I make room for and hanger and brake pads.

2) Computer #1 - Still in Calgary, tried to mount a new cycle computer I bought in Hamilton but realised I left the mounting bracket back home.  Off to a good start. Went to Calgary Cycle to fix the brakes and buy a new computer.

3) Booties - I debated bringing these at all, and I guess the debate wasn't settled in my own mind because I got to Banff with only one.  I guess the other one was back with my computer bracket.  Was going to not worry about it but the weather report didn't look good so I went downtown Banff and bought a pair of neoprene booties and some rain pants.  The neoprene was not the best choice.  Hard to get on and they were heavy when wet.  Not taking them next year.  Better shoes and plastic bags will do.

4) Computer #2 - Something happened on that first snowy climb.  The magnet was in place, the display was working, but it wasn't reading.  Changed the battery but still nothing.  cleaned the snow build up, nothing.  I had to use my mantracking skills to follow other riders trails at some points. Once out of the snow, I tried again and couldn't get it to work.  Bought a $20 dollar unit in Big Fork (with a wire) and it worked awesome.

5) GPS - I had a GPS but didn't pre-load the route.  Used a Edge 605.  Tried but couldn't manage it.  Also had trouble with the battery life.  Left it on the first night in Elkford and battery died.  Had to charge it at a plaza in Sparwood for 4 hours.  With that being my only computer I decided to use it sparingly and kept it off most of the time.  I used it more for speed and altitude and to check distance on difficult stretches.

4) Gloves - Stopped to fuel up about 30-40 miles in on day one.  There was a break in the rain so I took of my gloves and set them down while I ate.  OOPS.  I guess I didn't pack them when I finished lunch.  That was the last I saw of them.  Had to buy several different types of dish gloves and various corner stores.  The big blue cleaning gloves worked out to be pretty good actually for the rainy cold parts.

5)Rain pants- these were a waste.  Too bulky and too hot.  They had full length zippers up the side for venting which was nice.  A few days in and they were torn and trashed. May have been from the on again off again ( which took a lot of time) and the packing and repacking, or just from the brutal conditions.  Won't take these again.

6) Booties Part 2 - Too much gear.  When packing up from camp day I left them in a plastic bag on a picnic table.  I realised they were missing much later in the day and was way to far tho think about getting them.  Day 4, as I was headed in to Columbia Falls in the dark, I noticed and reflection on the road ahead.  As I got closer I realised it was one of my booties.  From its condition I knew someone got good use out of it.  Next morning I ran into some racers at a gas station and headed of with them.  As they pulled ahead of me I noticed a map fell out of one of thier packs.  I yelled ahead and when I returned the map and told them about the bootie I found he told me he had my other one.  Sweet.

7) Knees - This was by far the biggest physical challenge.  By the end of day 4, about 370 miles in to the race I couldn't pedal.  I had to walk some prime and sought after pavement on my way to Whitefish.  I got some great advice from the riders I met at the "bootie exchange" about my seat position and that kept me in the race.  Only managed 30 miles on day 5 but I was riding! I found the snow on later days great for icing my knees!  With the pills, ice and better position they started felling better in later days.

8) Shoulder Pain - My lack of experience was the problem here.  The back pack was part of the problem I am sure, but the big problem was my riding position and my death grip.  The pain was at its worse end of day 2.  I tried stretching, lots of pills and changing positions on the bike.  Made for an uncomfortable ride.  I really wanted out of the Flathead so badly  that 3 days wasn't an option so I had to focus on the bigger goal and try to forget about the discomfort.

9) Butt Pain - This, I think is self-explanatory but I will expand.  I got some advice before I left because as a new rider I predicted this to be my biggest challage.  2 pairs of shorts and lots of chamois cream.  I made room in my gear for this!  The 2 shorts was awesome when needed. I found that several climbs the snow and fatigue made me walk a few hours a  day.  This turned out to be a great solution for my rear end as well.  The discomfort was unbearable at times but this walking break, though not intended for this purpose, gave my butt a much needed rest.

10) Fingers - Numb. I had a real hard time using the zippers on my gear.  The vibration, my death grip, the wet and the cold along with the assault from the rocks and holes took their toll.  It took several weeks after I left the race to gain feeing in some of my fingers.

11) Anger - The rain really played tricks. Putting gear on, taking it off, putting it on , taking it off.....this part was terrible.  The rain would stop and I would wait, and wait. Then once I decided to pack my gear away, it would start.  So I would wait, and wait, and wait. Once I decided it wasn't going to stop I would gear up and not 2 minutes later it would stop.  So I would just leave it on and then heat up and sweat.  If a racer yells in the forest does anyone hear him?? I screamed a lot. And getting to town when everything was closed and I was cold wet and hungry well.... I was angry.  However no matter how long and painful the day, I always found joy knowing I made it through and looked forward to the next day.

12) Confusion - It is hard to stay mentally focused.  I was saved a few times by locals and other racers when I when I had made a wrong turn.  A few of those mistakes were caused by exhaustion and lack of focus. Without my computers working they could have been long detours.  I locked myself out of my B&B in Ovando with my gear inside at 4 in the morning. I had to wait till about an hour and a half before I had the nerve to go across the street and start knocking on doors in town to find where the owner lived.  Ovandoites were awesome as a side note. I found myself at times in a trance like state.  Watching myself in some of my videos I realised why I was get such strange looks.

13) Lonliness - Took its toll on me.  A few days without  someone to chase or push you along was hard.  When I got into Butte and called my wife from the parking lot of the Outdoorsman (which was closed on Sundays, much to my shock and dissapointment) she told me other riders were in town.  I felt a warm rush like a kid on Christmas and made a direct line to their hotel for some company.


 
14) Pride - This hurt most of all.  Quitting was the most painful part by far.  The race became a part of me.  I had ultimately decided that I was way past my time budget. I couldn't finish in 28 days, it was looking more like 32 and I didn't have 32 days. I was running out of money, my hurting body had put me days behind and I guess ultimately, I wasn't ready.......



2 comments:

  1. Obviously just a brutal race...but ironically one with its own unique rewards!
    I like your "confusion" picture. But it seems that your expression contains the gambit of emotions you describe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess it isn't wise to publish a post at 1 AM without proof reading it. Sorry for the poor grammer and spelling. I hope I fixed it all. Still confused I suppose.

    ReplyDelete